A pole saw is a saw attached to an extension pole. They can be found in both powered and non-powered variants. Today you are going to read you complete BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Pole Saw, 8-Inch (LPP120) review. The powered ones are usually a lightweight chainsaw (electric or gas-powered) that is attached to the end of a pole.
Pole saws eliminate the problem that comes with trimming tall trees. Reaching the high up branches with your hand tools and a leader simply isn’t comfortable and, in some cases, can be dangerous. With pole saws, you can easily reach those out of reach branches and trim them off easily and conveniently.
So, you’ve stumbled upon The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw, 8-Inch (LPP120) and wanted to know if it is really good enough to buy. Well, we got you covered. Because here I’ll be reviewing the Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw in extensive detail and also throw in some tips on how to use and maintain your pole saw.
So, let’s get started!
A Brief Overview
BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Pole Saw, 8-Inch (LPP120) is a well-known brand in the pole saw business. From my experience, their products have always been reliable. And the Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw is no exception.
With its 8-inch bars, The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw can cut through up to 6 inch thick branches without a sweat. This is more than adequate for trimming your trees.
A problem with battery-powered pole saws is the limited supported work duration. For many pole saws, it just isn’t enough as they are such power-hungry tools. The 20V lithium-ion battery can easily provide up to 3 to 4 hours of continuous operation. The manufactures promise about 100 cuts on a single charge.
This is also a great pole saw for eco-concerned individuals who want minimum carbon emissions. The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw does not use gas or any other type of fossil fuel. The cordless system is also great for maneuverability as you are not held back by the length of the wire. Allowing maximum flexibility of use.
The pole is about 10 inches and an extra 4 inches is added with the length of the attached chainsaw giving you a 14-inch maximum reach. This is clear enough for most gardening practices. So, you don’t have to worry about those pesky branches that have been mocking you for so long.
Most pole saws are kind of heavy to work with. Obviously having a heavy chainsaw strapped at the end of a pole isn’t something you can handle easily. In that regard. The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw is fairly light compared to the competition. It weighs only 6.3 pounds. That is light enough to work without causing serious hand fatigue.
When working with power tools safety should be your number one priority. And it is the case with this chain saw. It includes a blade guard and a safety lock system to protect you from accidental hazards. Of course, you still need to handle it with care and caution.
Finally, we are going to look at the most important thing that should matter to you while buying any piece of machinery. And it is the warranty. The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw provides 2 years of warranty. This is of course not the best in the market but it isn’t that bad either. I’ve seen far expensive pole saws offering far less. So, judging the price I really can’t complain.
- Battery Voltage: 20 volts maximum
- Best use: Trimming and pruning, light cutting
- Included Number of batteries: 1
- Battery Variant: 20V Lithium-ion (Li-ion)
- Pole Length (Inches): 10
- Recommended Maximum Cut Diameter (Inches): 6
- Bar or Chain Oil Included: No
- Included Charger: Yes
- Max Reach (In Feet): 14
- Quick-Adjust Tensioning Mechanism: No
- Auto Oiling technology: No
- Pole saw Weight (lbs): 6.3
- Included Case: No
- Fully Assembled: No
- Warranty: 2-year limited
- Commercial Warranty: None
- Low Kickback Bar and Chain: Yes
- Color: Red
- Pole Saw type: Electric (Cordless)
- Series Name: V20
- Extra Chain Included: No
- CA Residents: Prop 65 Warning(s): Yes
- Included Battery: Yes
- Initiation Method: Push start
FEATURES BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Pole Saw, 8-Inch (LPP120)
The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw has a 20V lithium-ion battery. This ensures long hours of uninterrupted operation that can last up to 3 or 4 hours. Forget about frequent recharging and wires lying around all over the place.
The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw has a high capacity battery that makes sure you work longer without any hassle. It can do about 100 cuts of 1 ½ inch pine branches on a single charge.
The pole saw is completely battery-powered. For this, it does not need to be plugged in with a chord. Allowing the user maximum maneuverability during use. Also, this eliminates trip hazards and there is no chance of tangling up in wires.
The pole its self is about 10 inches and another 4 inches is added by the length of the saw. Altogether you get 14 inches of reach with The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw which is more than enough for most gardening needs. It does not matter whether you are a home gardener or a professional. The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw will fit your requirements.
2 Years of Warranty:
2 years of warranty is not all bad. Trust me, I’ve seen worse. But for the price, you can be sure you aren’t missing out.
- Pole Saw along with Extension
- Lithium-Ion Battery
- Smart Charger for battery
- Blade Guard
- Oil Bottle
- Great price
- Good battery life
- Very light (Only 6.3 lbs.)
- Great for trimming and pruning
- 14 inches of maximum reach
- Very grippy
- Good warranty (2 years)
- Well reviewed by users
- No automatic oiler
- Not a telescopic pole
- Slow battery charging
How to use the Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw?
Step 1: Clear your workspace
First, clear out any trip hazards. For example, fallen branches, wires, gardening tools, etc. that might be lying around. Make sure there is no one around or near the workplace. Especially children. Make sure there are no pets around.
Step 2: Position the saw
First, hold up the pole saw in a vertical position and get acquainted with its weight. Then place the saw against the branch you want to cut off. The weight of the pole saw should press against the branch you want to cut off.
Step 3: Position yourself
Walk slightly away from the pole saw head. It should not be right above you. The pole should remain at an angle to you. This will allow you to have the best grip and also make sure the saw head does not come near your after cutting through the branch. Make sure you hold the handle as close to you as possible and at chest level.
Step 3: Begin cutting
Push the start button to start cutting. Gently, press down on the branch with the saw head and it should cut right through. After it cuts through, pull up slightly to make sure the chainsaw does not slam to the ground.
Step 4: Turn off and clean up
After you have finished, turn the pole saw off. It should take a while for the pole saw to turn off completely. Then clean and store it in a cool and dry place. Finally, clean up the fallen branches and leaves.
Precautions for using The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw
- Register it to the Black and Decker website as early as possible for safety notices and returns.
- Before charging, check your socket for defects like burn marks, arcing or overheating.
- Make sure your socket is RCD protected to prevent unfortunate accidents. Use an RCD socket or RCD plug.
- Make sure the working area is restricted to other people and pets.
- Do not use BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Pole Saw in the rain. It’s not waterproof.
- Do not cut branches near power lines. (Within 50ft)
- Hold the pole saw at the chest level and as close as possible.
- Cut at a 45-degree angle.
- Maintain proper posture while using a pole saw
- When you are done wait a few moments after hitting the off switch until all the moving after stop working.
- If there is a fire or any other emergencies call 911.
Maintenance tips for The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw
Your machine is as great as you treat it. So, treat it well for getting the best out of it. Here are some tips on how to properly care about your Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw review:
- Check for any loose nuts and bolts. Tighten them up if you find any. Loose screws can cause a number of fatal accidents.
- Inspect the trigger and the trigger lock. Make sure they work properly.
- Inspect the chain to see it has any cracks or if it is loose. Make sure it’s properly sharp before use.
- Make sure it is fully charged before use. If not then charge it up.
- Properly clean the saw. Use a damp cloth or a brush.
- Clean below the protective cover that surrounds the blade.
- Properly lubricate the chain before packing.
- Empty out the bar oil compartment as it can go bad.
- After all of the above, pack up your saw and place it in a cool and dry place.
- Check battery health. Replace the battery if needed.
- Check the wires for rips or tears.
- Keep the blade sharp. Sharpen it ever so often to maintain optimum performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How to maintain battery health?
Make sure you store the battery in a cool and dry place. Do not expose it to direct sunlight or moisture. Recharge your battery as soon as it is discharged. It is advised that you don’t keep it plugged in after fully charged.
Q. How long will it last on a single charge?
The Black and Decker 20V Max pole saw promises 100 cuts of 1 ½ inch pine on a single charge.